Sharing my thoughts in the universe..enjoy!!!!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Getting Healthy

Diet Tips from Weight-Loss Bloggers: Alisa of Eff This Diet
Thursday, 09/ 8/2011 5:10 PM
All this week, we're sharing weight-loss motivation from some of our favorite real-girl diet and fitness bloggers. Today's smart, get-fit tips come from Alisa at Eff This Diet—she's already lost more than 120 pounds!

You'll never believe that gorgeous 24-year-old Alisa from Southern California was ever nearly 400-pounds, but she's got the pics to prove it:



And take a look at her now, more than 100 pounds lighter:



That's quite the reason to turn your ear to Alisa's advice, now isn't it? We love Alisa's Fitblr because her positivity is infectious, and her totally-candid weigh-in posts help us remember that we're not alone in our own weight struggles. Here are some of the tips she shared with us:

Each Sunday, I put together a grocery list of the meals I want to make for the week ahead. Making sure that my kitchen is stocked at all times is the key to success. I am less likely to be tempted by junk food if I make sure and prepare myself for any given situation. The same goes for my office. I keep a drawer stocked with food just in case I'm running late for the day and can't pack my lunch, or I feel the need to snack...I can't even begin to explain how many times that snack drawer at work has saved me from munching on baked goods in the kitchen.

I have not eliminated pizza, pasta, or even donuts completely from my diet. Whole Foods is a goldmine for healthy finds that can satisfy you the same way junk food can. My absolute favorite pizza in the world is Full of Life organic pizza. I promise you—at 260 calories for the entire thing, this is not your traditional diet food. Substitutions always work great, too. Just making small changes like whole wheat pasta for regular pasta can make a huge difference in the long run.

Try to eat whole, unprocessed foods whenever possible. Have you ever tried to pick up one of those frozen diet entrees (and I use this term loosely—they are tiny!) and read the ingredients list? Near impossible. Why does a chicken and rice dish need anything more than chicken and rice? Check out your local farmer's markets and don't be afraid to experiment in the kitchen.

Don't let your size intimidate you. I've talked to a lot of people about the fitness concerns they have because of their size. I took my first yoga class at 300 pounds. Was I terrified of being the biggest girl in the room and not being able to keep up? Of course I was! But you know what? It really wasn't as big a deal as I imagined. Sure, there are certain poses I am unable to do because of my size, but I modify them, and I do the best I can. I would say that 95 percent of the time, I can do the poses just as well as the other smaller girls can do. I push myself and I love every minute of it. Because of this, yoga is now the key to my fitness routine. I am even planning on signing up for teacher training next year. I'd hate to think that I'd have missed out on this because of my fears.

Do not weigh in every day. Trust me, it will drive you insane (I vouch for this with personal experience). Water retention can play a huge role in your weight on a day to day basis (think of that time of the month). Why stress yourself out by a number that might not even be accurate? Weigh in on a weekly basis (or longer). While we're talking about the scale, don't ever walk out of a weigh-in session with a negative mentality. “God, I only lost one pound this week” is not acceptable. A loss is a loss. You are closer to your goal now, are you not? Progress, not perfection.

You're so inspiring, Alisa! Track Alisa's progress and get more of her tips over at Eff This Diet.

Glamour mobile.com

No comments:

Post a Comment